Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Dreaded Position

This is the second position paper I had to write for Theological Foundations. The topic: Arminianism vs. Calvinism. I chose Calvinism (because it chose me first...)


“Calvinism vs. Arminianism”
By Geary Lutz
Within Christian circles, there is probably no more hotly debated topic than that of the nature of salvation. Is salvation God-wrought completely apart from human will, or is it a result of a human choice which God saw in advance? The position has been debated for hundreds of years, with many Godly men falling on one side or the other. This is not an orthodox issue, but it is important nonetheless. What does the Scripture say? It is important that this be the basis for any doctrinal statement that we land on, because it is the only sure-footing that we can truly have with regard to how God saves men from their sins. The position I take in this debate is the position of Calvinism. I have come to this position after hearing Scripture quoted and exposited from both sides of the debate, and being convinced that the Calvinist position is the more Scripturally consistent position. I will state each point of the TULIP position, and the Scriptural support that I have found for each point.
Total Depravity is the position that says every area of our life is affected by the stain of sin, to the extent that we can do nothing in order to make the choice to please God outside of His enabling Grace. Jesus states man’s slavery to sin like this in John 8:34, “Jesus answered them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.’” We are all slaves to sin, because we all commit sin on a regular basis. Also, Ephesians 2 says that we are “dead in our trespasses” and “by nature children of wrath”. Ephesians 2:9 says that we are saved by grace through faith—and that faith is a gift of God, not from ourselves. Faith is the gift of God which comes through hearing the word about Christ (Romans 10:17). John 1:12-13 says, “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.” Those who believed in God were born not by their own will, but by the will of God. This leads to the second petal on the TULIP.
Unconditional Election is the second point of Calvinist thought. Unconditional election means that God chose those who would be saved before He even made the world, not based on anything they have done, but solely because of His own will. Ephesians 1:4-5 says, “even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will”. This clearly points to an election that is not based on man’s choice, but on God’s will. In fact, verse 11 says it even more clearly, “In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will”. This says that salvation does come from someone’s “will”—but it’s not our will, it’s God’s will that brings about salvation.
Limited Atonement is the third point of Calvinism. Limited Atonement, or Particular Redemption as it is sometimes known, says that Christ’s death was an actual payment for the sins of the elect—not just a potential payment of the whole world’s sins. This is one of the most contested points of Calvinism, but I think that it does have ample Scriptural support. In John 10:11, Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” Hebrews 7:22-25 speaks of Jesus’ role as the Christian’s high priest: “This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant. The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.” These verses say that the reason Christ is able to save to the uttermost is that He is always making intercession, unlike the priests of the old covenant, for those who He has saved. These are just a couple of verses which speak of the particular nature of Christ’s atoning work, but I think they speak very clearly on it.
Irresistible Grace is the fourth point of Calvinism. Also known as Effectual Calling, it says that those who God calls to be saved will be saved, because God has called them. It does not say that those who are saved are saved apart from their will; on the contrary, it says that those who God calls, He enables to respond through His “quickening” of their hearts to respond to His Grace. John 6:44 says, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.” John 3:8 says, “The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.” Salvation is a work of God’s will, and God’s will always comes to pass.
Perseverance of the Saints is the final point of Calvinism. This is the point that says that those who are saved will continue in their faith in Christ until the day that they die. It does not deny man’s responsibility to be faithful to Christ, but it does say that God will be faithful to keep His promise of salvation to those who have put their faith in Christ. John 10:27-30 says, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.” This says that the reason we are to be saved is not because of our ability to remain faithful, but due to God’s faithfulness. John 6:37-40 says, “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." Jesus’ obedience to the Father’s will included keeping those who are drawn to Him by the Father. The ultimate security of our salvation lies in the fact that Jesus will not let us go, not in the fact that we can remain faithful to Him. This is just a brief overview with brief support of the Calvinist position, but I think it will serve as an introduction for some into Calvinist belief.

No comments: