Saturday, January 22, 2011

Abortion "Debated"

In memory of Roe V. Wade, I've decided to post a "debate" that I'm currently entrenched in via Youtube. I have changed the name of the person, so that it does not seem that I am being unfair to the person, and I had to edit some of the language in the posts (this girl needs a little soap in her mouth... ha). Enjoy... or be thoroughly annoyed.


By the way, the conversation started regarding the woman claiming to have had a medically necessary, life-saving abortion...

@Pro-Choicer what type of medical emergency provoked this abortion, maam?

@gearylutz What type of medical degree do you have?

@Pro-Choicer well, I was just wondering because you said it was "life saving" and "medically necessary". I was just wondering what type of emergency you had experienced.

@gearylutz I was just wondering whether you expected to offer insight as a medical professional, or to judge whether or not you thought my condition was "worthy" of an abortion as a layperson antichoicer.

@Pro-Choicer Well, maam, I think my ability to offer you a "professional medical opinion" is about as great as your ability to offer a "professional" opinion on theology, which you seem content to do anyway. I'm not a medical professional, and I do not intend to simply blindside you with "you're a murderer" and then never talk to you beyond that. But I think that this topic can be spoken of by more than just doctors. Otherwise you should get a degree in theology please or change your SN.

@gearylutz Sure but my opinions on theology never lead to taking away the rights of people to have their body's to themselves, whereas the theological/medical opinions of anti-choicers aim to do exactly that. So you see how the two things are not at all alike (I hope).

Here's the real point: Why does my particular medical condition matter? Any woman should have the right to decide what happens to her body - period.

@Pro-Choicer Well, maam, how do you explain that for the particular amount of time that you had that addition to your body, you had a distinct DNA code inside your uterus? How do you explain, if it was a boy, the extra appendage that was suddenly added to your body from the inside? I think this is a little bit more complex than the "my body" issue that you are making it out to be. Angie, I understand this is an emotional issue, not a rational one. Please think about what I am saying here

@gearylutz The egg was inside my body. The egg was feeding off my body, changing my body chemistry, and messing up my day royally. My body was precisely the one I was concerned with. And yes, my life DOES trump that of a ball of cells. To quote George Carlin, "You think a fetus is better than a woman? Try getting a fetus to wash thestains out of your underwear." I'm a person with feelings, thoughts & family. The egg wasn't.

@Pro-Choicer Well, maam, I think that your body-if it was only dealing with an egg-would have ejected the egg itself at some point in the month. The fact that it didn't eject means it was a fertilized egg, with a different DNA code. There is nothing inside of that baby that is added after conception-just things that are developed. If it is ok to kill something that is simply less developed, there is not much difference then between inside and outside the womb then, right?

@gearylutz Fertilized schmertilized. The differences between inside and outside the womb are tremendous. Your ignorance of embryology & pregnancy don't make your antichoice views correct.

But hey, judging women as "killers" is probably quicker and easier.

@Pro-Choicer Hey, sorry I haven't responded in a week, I just didn't want you to think you had out-witted the theist (although you do seem to be a very intelligent and witty woman, aside from being so foolish as to believe that nothing made everything ;)). I was just wondering where you got your information that it doesn't matter whether the egg is fertilized and implanted or not? I'm not sure where you got that information, but the "single cell" is a totipotent cell, not just "goo"

@Pro-Choicer Also, I do believe you had said something about not wanting to "force" your beliefs on everyone. The thing is, though, that you call yourself an "anti-theist," which would mean that you are opposed to theism, not just that you don't believe in God. You make it a habit to bash Christianity, and it seems to me that you are recording it for others to watch and attempting to persuade them of your views. This is not much different than anyone else imposing values on others, is it?

@gearylutz It's hard to answer your question, when it's so loaded. I never said the things you want me to explain or defend having said, which makes this awkward at best.

It does not matter to ME whether the egg was fertilized or not. Sperm does not make something sacred. Sperm doesn't make it special. Sperm doesn't make it suddenly have a right to take over my body. That's what I meant by "fertilized schmertilized."

@Pro-Choicer the sperm is not special in and of itself, but when it is joined with an egg and forms a totipotent cell which then takes residence in your womb, it is a living cell, and it is a human life. Your "rights" are only protected as long as they don't affect another life. If you have information to the contrary (i.e. that it is not a living cell), please link it for me to read. Is that a specific enough request? By the way, what Church were you a part of when you were a "Christian"?

@gearylutz I belonged to several denominations over my 2 and a half decades as a Christian, including but not limited to Episcopalian, Methodist, Presbyterian, charismatic, evangelical and Vineyard.

If my "rights" (which can obviously be thrown away by you very easily, I see by the glib quote marks) can't infringe on another's life then OBVIOUSLY a fetus has no rights to affect & hijack MY life and MY body. Fabulously done sir, thank you.

It has NO rights to MY life whether it's living or not

@Pro-Choicer I apologize for making it seem like your rights don't matter, I use quotes a lot, and it was just meant to say that whatever rights you have been given (i.e. we don't determine for ourselves individually what our rights are), they only extend as far as the next life is concerned--much the same as my neglecting to feed my children and allowing them to starve because I have a "right" to life would be cruel and wrong. My right to life does not mean that I can harm my children.

@gearylutz Okay well assuming a fetus had rights (which I don't agree with), by your statements it still has no rights once those rights infringe on MY life and body, right? Ergo, abortion is totally up to the pregnant-woman, and always should be. She's the one having her rights & body infringed upon BY the fetus, not the other way around. Women have more rights than fetuses, AS WE SHOULD. We're PEOPLE. The egg I aborted was unaware, unconscious & terminal. I'm alive because of abortion.

@Pro-Choicer That leads me again to ask what made the abortion medically necessary? If it's a personal reason, feel free to not answer, but if you are using "my body, my rights" as your argument, then that is seriously lacking in power. Why do women have more rights than fetuses?

@gearylutz Women are people. Women have thoughts, feelings, families, loved ones, ideas, passions, interests. Persons have personalities. Fetuses are not people. People are born. Fetuses have no thoughts, feelings, loved ones, ideas, passions, interests, or personalities. Fetuses cannot choose to be born or aborted, because they're incapable of making choices. Women CAN make choices & should be allowed to do so.

Women have more rights because we have BRAINS. (That egg had no brain, heart, etc)

@Pro-Choicer Ok, you still have not answered my first question, Angie. What was the "necessary medical condition" that required you to get this abortion? When did you have this abortion? Please, do not skip the first question just to answer the second question.

No comments: