Thursday, May 14, 2009

Things That Are Ruining Church Youngsters, Part 2

"Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth."--John 17:17

The second thing that I think is ruining youngsters in the church today is the philosophy of postmodernism.

Postmodernism is the philosophy which espouses, among other things that "truth is relative".

This means that truth is defined by each individual, not by a set standard of truth.

Nevermind the fact that this is one of the most illogical propositions in every area of life.

Take business for example. Say I walk into a department store, and the shirt I want has a tag on it that says "$10". I take the shirt up to the counter. I plop down the shirt and a $5 bill and wait for the girl to ring me up.

What's she going to do?

She will, if she's sensible, tell me that I still owe her $5 more.

How illogical would it be of me to say, "Well, to you that is only a $5 bill, but to me, it's a $100 bill, and you owe me some change little missy!"

That would be ridiculous!

Yet, this is what is being passed off as acceptable philosophy today.

As I stated in my last post, this is foolishness.

John 14:6 says, "Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'"

That sounds pretty exclusive, doesn't it?

So, we are left to determine between these two claims.

Either Jesus is true, and everybody else is false; or everybody else is true and Jesus is false.

This is the choice; there is no other option.

Good Hindus will not be reincarnated just because that's what they believe. Good Buddhists will not turn into nothing just because that's what they believe.

Yet, this is what many young people believe and endorse today.

This is completely unbiblical, and i think it plays somewhat off of the "self-esteem" issue I posted about earlier.

We are scared to tell other people they are wrong.

But if they are wrong, their belief doesn't make up for it.

The object of belief is what matters, not the intensity of belief.

If it is true, it is true. If not, it is not.

The definition of truth must be established, or else the world will all blend together into one belief system with no absolute standard.

No comments: