Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Importance of Theology in Music

"Let the peoples praise You, O God; Let all the peoples praise You."--Psalm 67:3

Recently, I've noticed myself drawn in to music which isn't normally considered in the same music store, let alone the same genre.

I've really enjoyed listening to some hymns lately. Most of them are popular hymns, I haven't gotten around to listening to the obscure ones yet. One in particular has struck me profoundly. It's name is "It Is Well With My Soul".

Listen to the words of this amazing hymn (or at least read them, since this is a text post):


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Did you notice the amazing comprehension of God's sovereignty in there?

How about the gloriousness of the cross of Christ?

Do you see how God-centered this song is, even in its simplicity?

Hymns, for the most part, are an amazing way to get your worship focused on God--though I know they're not very "relevant" today (which I don't really understand).

The other music that I have been listening to has been Hip-Hop. I know I might have just lost you, but stick with me here.

I've been listening to a rapper by the name of Shai Linne, and also a rapper by the name of Lecrae.

Take a look at some of the lyrics from Lecrae's song "Don't Waste Your Life":

"Your money your singleness marriage talent and time
They were loaned to you to show the world that Christ is Divine
That's why it's Christ in my rhymes
That's why it's Christ all the time
My whole world is built around him
He's the life in my lines
I refused to waste my life
He's too true ta chase
That ice
Heres my gifts and time cause I'm constantly trying to be used to praise the Christ
If he's truly raised to life
Then this news should change your life
And by his grace you can put your faith in place that rules your days and nights."

Do you see the God-centeredness of this song too?

He obviously understands the nature of stewardship and servanthood to Christ.

This is an amazing thing, that despite the vast majority of rappers making their songs about sex and drugs, these men are writing music that is not only God-centered, but doctrinal.

So, from two completely different aspects musically, the clear teachings of Scripture are being communicated.

Notice the God-centeredness.

They sing of God's amazing, unchanging nature, not their ever-changing feelings for God at a moment in time.

This is what makes for truly God-honoring worship. Focusing our praise upon our eternal God, not ourselves and our feelings for God at the moment.

This is true worship, and I am glad that there are men willing to communicate clearly the Word of God through music! Amen!

No comments: