Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lessons I've Learned

This is actually a document that I started to work on a while ago, with regards to the lessons I have learned through the death of Madelyn. I thought I would post it--though I had meant to add commentary to it, it's simply a list of Scriptures related to the lessons I've learned since her death. Enjoy!!

Lessons I’ve learned:

Lesson 1

1. A. I am not in control.

“Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit’--yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.”—James 4:13-14

B. God is in control.

“’I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, “My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,”’” –Isaiah 46:9-10

Lesson 2

2. A. I am a bad comforter.

“Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?” –1 Corinthians 1:20

B. God is the Comforter.

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.” –2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Lesson 3

3. A. I deserve far worse.

"’For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.’" –Mark 7:21-23

B. God is gracious.

“For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”—Romans 5:6-8

No comments: